Deposit, Safety and Fees Information for Tenants

Landlords have a number of responsibilities for deposits and safety measures. Here is a brief overview:


If you have entered in to an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (this applies to most residential contracts) and pay a deposit then your landlord must protect your deposit using a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme. There are a mixture of schemes available, to find more information you can visit or ask your agent before your sign the contract.

Prior to signing any contract your agent/landlord should tell you which Tenancy Deposit Scheme your deposit will be registered with – this should also be documented in the contract. Following your moving in date you should receive confirmation via email that your deposit has been registered, if this doesn’t arrive after a few weeks contact your landlord/agent. Remember to keep the documentation safe as you will need it at the end of your tenancy.

Safety Certificates & Precautions

The type of property and number of tenants can cause the safety requirements to differ, but here is a general guide:

Gas Safety Certificate: Under the Gas Safety Regulations 1998 if a property is let and is connected to a mains gas supply an annual maintenance check of gas pipe work, appliances and flues must be undertaken. This should be performed by an engineer registered with Gas Safe – formerly Corgi.

Electrical Installation Condition Report: These Regulations require landlords to have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every 5 years. Landlords have to provide a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants.

Portable Appliance Testing: The Electrical Equipment Safety Regulations 1994 require any electrical appliances left in a property to be safe. Whilst it is not compulsory to have appliances checked many landlords obtain Portable Appliance Test (PAT) certificates in order to comply with these regulations.

Fire Safety: All furniture provided must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings Regulations 1988. The regulations apply to a range of items, so to find out more information visit the government website detailed below.

Smoke Alarms: Since 2015 Smoke alarms have been mandatory for all residentially let properties. Carbon Monoxide alarms are also required where solid fuel is used.

For more information on any of these legal requirements why not ask us or visit:

Tenant Fees & Charges:

Click here to view our Tenant Fees & Charges.

Government How to rent guide for tenants:

Click here to view this guide.

Government How to rent a safe home:

Click here to view this guide.

Our Tenancy Handbook:

Click here to view the handbook.