Student Bills Explained – Exactly What You Need

A mini guide to managing your bills as a student

After the launch of our student properties on October 13th 2022, we have seen many of them let for the 2023/24 academic year! Therefore, we wanted to provide a guide for the next step in letting a student property – the organisation of your bills.

Piggy bank

To put your mind at ease, we thought we’d share exactly what you need to organise for your next student property.

When you are a student, you don’t need to worry about things such as council tax as your are exempt! So it’s just your utilities that you need to worry about. These include, water, gas, electricity and internet. We also recommend contents insurance to protect your belongings as well as a TV license if required.

Council Tax:

As a student, you are exempt from the need to pay council tax, however, you will need to apply for an exemption for this and inform your local council that you and your flatmates are students.


In many cases, the water bills are included in your rent and handled by the landlord, however this is not always the case. It is important to check this with us or your landlords before moving into your property.

Gas & electricity:

When you move into your property, your student house will already have an energy provider. It is important that you find out who the current supplier is and inform them that you have moved in, switching it into your name and details. With the current energy bills at an all time high, you may find that you have to stick with the current provider, as alternative companies are no longer taking new households. However, it is still worth looking to see if you can save some money somewhere.

Contents insurance:

When moving into your student property, you will most likely be bringing many valuables, such as laptops and other devices. Therefore, it won’t surprise you that student properties can be targeted more frequently. We recommend taking out a contents insurance policy to protect your items in case of theft.

TV license:

A TV license will be something that catches many of you out. If you plan on watching any live TV, you will need a TV license. This also applies to any catch-up TV. This is something easy to set up online and doesn’t take very long but it very important.

We hope that you have found this checklist useful, but if you are still worrying about it, we can take care of it for you. We offer a bills included package for your new student home, so feel free to give us a call on 0191 20 90 100 or drop us a WhatsApp message to find out more!


Share on Social Media

Red piggy bank