As the leaves start to fall from the trees and the dark nights roll in, a great way to brighten your student accommodation is through house plants! We thought we’d share with you some of the house plants that will be easy to manage and cause as little stress as possible, but will help bring your home away from home to life:
- Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera is a great place to start, as it has many healing properties. You can use the gel within the leaves to aid any skin problems as well as to relieve muscle pain, or you can leave it be and it will help to purify the air in the room. It is also a small plant so can be placed anywhere that it fits.
- Peace Lily – This has made it onto the list because of its ability to clear and reduce the amount of toxins that can be found in the air. It is designed to help us feel more relaxed, which is perfect for students!
- Orchid – The orchid is a great aesthetic piece, that also doesn’t require a lot of care and is long lasting. It gives the feeling of fresh flowers without the need to spend the money each week on a fresh bunch. Invest in the orchid for a homely feel.
- Cacti – Cacti are perhaps one of the most low maintenance plants you can buy, but they also come in all shapes and sizes. They are unique and add an interesting style element to your living space. They make great desk accessories as they don’t take up much space.
- Money Tree – Last, but certainly not least, is the money tree. Whilst unfortunately, it doesn’t grow cash, the money tree is often a symbol of good luck and is designed to reduce stress and give off a calming effect through its appearance and leaves. A great plant to have during exam periods.
Here are your top locations for houseplants in Newcastle and the surrounding area:
- Tynemouth Market – The market located within Tynemouth Metro Station, has a variety of vendors, including plant stalls. A great way to support local businesses and purchase your houseplants.
- Dobbies – If you are looking for a large selection, Dobbies in Gosforth is your place to go. A little bit on the pricey side but a great selection of healthy plants to choose from.
- The Plant Workshop – Located within Fenwick Department Store, Eldon Square, The Plant Workshop is a great place to browse unique pots for your plants as well as cool, unique finds, such as terrariums.
- The Flower Folk – A small, independent business located on Brentwood Avenue in Jesmond is the perfect stop off on your way back from a day at University for all Jesmond Residents. From beautiful bouquets to cute succulents, this is a great place to shop!
- Cowell’s Garden Centre – Another great, larger Garden Centre to visit is Cowell’s. If you are looking for a wholesome day out plant shopping, this is the place to visit.
We hope you have found these recommendations useful and explore some of our local places to shop house plants!